on Facebook

Join

Orion's Deep Field - Belt and sword

Posted: September 19th, 2009

When a friend of mine saw the image I took of Orion's belt he was quick to suggest "Why don't you build a mosaic with this image and the one of the Horsehead and M42 you took last winter?". And I thought "That's an EXCELLENT idea!"After a bit of work putting the mosaic together, here's the result: a beautiful panorama of an area of the constellation of Orion that is anything but usual, almost resembling a true stellar landscape, from the 3 famous stars of the belt to M42.

This image was selected as NASA's Astronomy Picture Of the Day (APOD) on September 28th, 2009 and on February 12th, 2012. It's the first of my images being selected twice for the APOD.

It also won the first Deep Sky price for the 2010 Best Astrophotographer of the Year, by the Royal Observatory of Greenwich.

Comments

Greg (Contact, Page), September 28th, 2009, 9:03
Simply Amazing image Can you post the exposure times etc

RBA (Contact, Page), September 28th, 2009, 9:09
Thanks for the comment Greg!
You can see the exposure time and other details by clicking on the "Show image details" link, right under the description.

Anonymous (Contact, Page), September 28th, 2009, 22:35
Stunning!

tony croucher (Contact, Page), September 29th, 2009, 3:05
your images are simply stunning, but this one (seen on APOD) is out of this world :o)

brilliant

jornero (Contact, Page), September 29th, 2009, 3:29
niño, enhorabuena por el APOD, impresionante la imagen

Raul Fritz (Contact, Page), September 29th, 2009, 4:35
Stunning astrophotos. Well done. Thanks for sharing.
Impresionantes las imagenes. Muy bien.
www.freewebs.com/clouds-air/apps/photos

Stuart Heggie (Contact, Page), September 29th, 2009, 4:48
Amazing shot! Congrats on your APOD for this one today (Sept 29th)!

Kiarash (Contact, Page), September 29th, 2009, 5:31
wow !
super beautiful shot...
hope to be like you one day...

Salvador (Contact, Page), September 29th, 2009, 6:21
Magnifica imagen felicidades por ella y po el APOD, Saludos, Salvador.

Jonathan Abbatt (Contact, Page), September 29th, 2009, 6:27
Wow Rogelio. Your Orion shot is out this world. I expected it to be a product of some major observatory. Should be hung in an art gallery.
Just set up my first decent scope, an 8in Celestron, in NE Wales. Hope to start astrophotos this winter, your work is inspirational.

Manuel Grullon (Contact, Page), September 29th, 2009, 9:02
The best image of this sky area i had seen on the hole Web...

Congratulations , Great Work. Beautifull Image

I own a 12" dobsonian and a 15 x 70 binoculars, rigth now laerning on how to move and observe the nigth sky, to one day, try to be as good as you are on astrophotography...

Thanks for sharing thi AMAZING image .

Arturo Alonso (Contact, Page), September 29th, 2009, 9:03
Beautiful in deed! Thanks for sharing your art!

Robert (Contact, Page), September 29th, 2009, 12:14
Please get your store up and running ! I would love to buy this as a poster ?

Fabien (Contact, Page), September 29th, 2009, 13:17
Possibly the best ever astro picture so far.
Amazing. (and I'm looking at APOD for 10 years!)

Lorenzo Joalè (Contact, Page), September 29th, 2009, 13:34
Simply fantastic!!!Nebulas never seen!

Ken C (Contact, Page), September 29th, 2009, 18:38
Wonderful. I assumed it came from the Hubble, not somebody working out of a SUV.

Joshua (Contact, Page), September 29th, 2009, 19:24
Loss for words... Simply awesome.

Mark (Contact, Page), September 30th, 2009, 8:38
Simply perfect. I got a heart attack... So fine treated

RBA (Contact, Page), October 1st, 2009, 0:07
Thank you everyone for your feedback!

Ken C. I admit your comment made me laugh :-) I indeed work "out of a SUV"! Hopefully one day I'll be able to build a small observatory. Hopefully!!

Alex Alegret (Contact, Page), October 1st, 2009, 12:37
Thanks for including me in the foto credits Rogelio, and again congratulations for this incredible image

Sam (Contact, Page), October 3rd, 2009, 14:44
Stunning! My new wallpaper.

Totally agree with Ken C. I too thought this was from Hubble or a large telescope.

planetMitch (Contact, Page), October 6th, 2009, 6:52
Absolutely the best image I've seen - such a great combination - something I didn't think was even possible. I've looked at orion for decades and never knew the scale of the horsehead. Amazing! Thank you so much for sharing.

Scott Denning (Contact, Page), October 6th, 2009, 8:09
To understand and describe what this image shows is to delve deeply into the context of our existence. Too see it is to experience that depth directly. You have done a remarkable thing! Thank you.

mark gottlieb (Contact, Page), October 12th, 2009, 16:50
Thank you Rogelio for your beautiful photography.
What I enjoyed most was the story that led you into the study of astrophotography. It was not so unlike mine.
In 1989 it was just too expensive to purchase SATNAV (early GPS) systems for sailing so I had to learn celestral navigation. From that point on I was hooked on Astonomy. Though I never got involved with photography (a patience issue on my part) I never tire of taking my big old Dob outside to hunt down DSOs.
Thank you again for your wonderful work.
Sincerely,
Mark

RBA (Contact, Page), October 12th, 2009, 16:55
Thank you all for your wonderful comments!

Please remember that if you would like to receive updates on new images, you can either subscribe by email (requires registration) by visiting http://blog.deepskycolors.com/subscribe or simply point your newsreader (if you use one) to http://blog.deepskycolors.com/rss.xml

Thanks again!!

RobbiNewman Photo&Vision (Contact, Page), November 3rd, 2009, 23:39
all of the above....when are we leaving?

Ken Engsmyr (Contact, Page), November 6th, 2009, 12:37
Rogelio
Brillant photo - shown at our club's meeting last night. Website is our astronomy club's. What is the cost of a poster mailed to Australia?
Ken

Paul Cannon (Contact, Page), November 6th, 2009, 14:17
Hi Rogelio,
This has to be the best astro-image I have ever seen. What is so significant about this is it puts Hubble's pictures to shame and you stayed on the planet! It is quite clear quality gear and your unique skills in capture and processing have made the difference. As a fellow tak user for one year using a canon camera I know what my next buy must be and whose tutorials I will be reading! Paul

luis Baleriola (Contact, Page), January 28th, 2010, 5:06
Rogelio you are a machine, Diego said to me what you were doing and one did not believe it!!!
Excellent!!!!!!

Rogelio eres un maquina, Diego me dijo lo que estabas haciendo y no me lo creia!!!
Excelente!!!!!!

zoila miranda (Contact, Page), March 20th, 2010, 11:32
RBA, el 21 de junio del 2009, hice el siguiente comentario en La FADD:

#1 - Por zoila, hace 8 meses, 2 días, 7 horas.
Media: De acuerdo | De acuerdo:5 / Discrepo:0 / Aburrido:0 / Irrelevante:0 / Troll:0 | [Comentario tuyo]
De todas las nebulosas, esta de Orión es mi preferida, es que, es....increíblemente bella, existen muchísimas fotos de ellas...RBA tiene una muy pero muy bonita, visité largamente si blog y qué fotos tiene este hombre tomadas por él...no me explico por qué no le publican más fotos.

Intenté dejarle un comentario pero me fue imposible, no sé cómo hacer, quizas no se pudo por ser una página en inglés.

Les invito a darse un gusto sabroso viendo su blog...más tarde les pasaré o recordaré la dirección, pues tengo que alistarme para irme al trabajo.

Pongo el comentario porque hoy si puedo escribir el comentario que en esa ocación no pude escribirte aquí.

Felicidades por la APOD de ayer, la de la Gaviota y el Pato.

Ed (Contact, Page), August 13th, 2010, 7:53
Congratulations the result is unbelievable !

Guillermo Abramson (Contact, Page), September 10th, 2010, 7:36
Your photos are extraordinary. Technically perfect, superb taste, extremely beautiful. Congratulations on the AP2010 prize! (from a shrotlisted 2009...).
¡Felicitaciones!

Jose Fernandez (Contact, Page), September 17th, 2010, 5:23
speechless, really. Thanks so much for sharing this picture.

muchos saludos!

kittynishat (Contact, Page), October 19th, 2010, 8:29
.................i've got nothing 2 write...........juz amazing...........

al vinjamur (Contact, Page), December 29th, 2011, 20:01
stupendous! this belongs in a museuem. i met u in the elevator at the AICC 2009. hope to run into u someplace again...

Mehar pari (Contact, Page), January 5th, 2012, 22:32

RBA (Contact, Page), January 5th, 2012, 23:21
Thank you Mehar, Al and everyone!

diana b (Contact, Page), September 13th, 2012, 21:33
Wow! this picture is so extraordinary!, leaves me speechless, you did a Great job! and congratulations!