Deep Field: From California to the Pleiades

Posted: October 20th, 2009

This is a 4x3 mosaic captured over 6 sessions at three different places. At the time of taking this image I believe it' the deepest image of this field taken so far, and yet, as I mention in just a minute, the number of subframes to acquire this image is in fact, minimal.

The areas of the California nebula (the red nebula on the bottom left, also known as NGC 1499) and the Pleiades (the blueish area on the top-right, AKA M45) also use individual images of these objects. I took the image of M45 from Calstar on September'09, and the California nebula was captured the week after over two sessions at Henry Coe State Park, but I never published it as I was hoping to get more data for the image and instead I decided to do this mosaic.

The color is a bit "spotty" because I had very little color data. All luminance frames are 10 minutes, although each frame has a different number of subexposures (from 4 to 10 -yes, some frames are only 4 "subs", for example, the area on the left/top of M45). For the RGBs they all are 4x5' bin 2x2, not ideal, but just enough to get some signal and at least give color to the image. The different number of subexposures for the L caused some areas to be better defined than others. The reason I wasn't consistent was mainly the rush to "get something" and later run out of time to accumulate more subs.

This image was selected as NASA's Astronomy Picture of the Day on November 3rd, 2009

Comments

Rob McCaffery (Contact, Page), November 3rd, 2009, 14:33
Absolutely amazing image, your ability to capture the surrounding "dustiness" adds so much depth that's missing from all the other images I've seen of this subject. Looking forward to seeing more from you!

Sam (Contact, Page), November 5th, 2009, 21:10
Yet another stunner. Great work, Rogelio!

RBA (Contact, Page), November 5th, 2009, 21:37
Thanks Rob, thanks Sam!

Jan Rek (Contact, Page), November 17th, 2009, 6:14
You have a unique and dramatic style to your presentation. These are fascinating compilations and they are a real pleasure to view.

Katja Matthias (Contact, Page), November 20th, 2009, 7:01
Hi Rogelio, really great pictures! But I can't find a way to contact you on the webpage. Can you please get in touch? I am working on a film project, and we would be interested in including some of your photographs. Thanks a lot, looking forward to hearing from you, Katja

RBA (Contact, Page), November 20th, 2009, 9:32
Thanks Jan!

Katja, my contact info is in the "About me" page:
Sorry for the confusion!

Brian D. Brengle (Contact, Page), November 30th, 2009, 14:04
WoW! What an exciting image! I had to double check my star charts. It never really occurred to me that M45 and NGC1499 were adjacent to one another. The molecular cloudiness in the Orion Spur and Perseus Arm of our galaxy is amazing. I have viewed quite a few extremely well done astro-images but this one really dropped my jaw!

Steady Seeing,