Witch Head Nebula and Rigel

Posted: November 16th, 2009

Here's my "November 2009 project"!

In this image I first tried to put into practice a method to pull the dust out that I had been thinking these past few days, and I didn't end up too thrilled about the results. It induced some "blur/denoise-like" effects early in the processing, and it also fabricated bloated star halos in the mid-sized stars (Rigel was put where it belongs with a quick HDRWT).

So after the fact I went back and did some reprocessing from scratch treating large and small scale structures separately, then merged the results to the previous image. This helped me reduce some of the halos (I did't bother with the big ones because those are "optical presents" not the effect of bad processing), keep the stars under control, enhance the witch head a bit, etc. but didn't remove the denoise/blur effect on the background.

I still think the initial processing thingy may work, I just need to play with it a bit more and be more careful next time... Nevermind the halo aroud Rigel is purple, although that's how it came out.

The image is in fact a 2 pane mosaic with data from 3 frames, each taken from a different site, with a total exposure of almost 12 hours.

This image was selected as NASA's Astronomy Picture of the Day on December 29th, 2009. and then also on November 1st, 2012.

Tamara (Contact, Page), November 21st, 2009, 5:15
What great eye candy!

Thanks, Tamara

Chris Patel (Contact, Page), November 21st, 2009, 14:41
I have followed your work every since you joined TAC and I am amazed how technically proficient you are with complex imaging targets and techniques! Congrats, your work is inspirational to other imagers like myself.

Mario Gaitano Jativa (Contact, Page), November 24th, 2009, 15:58
it's a amazing image! Your photos are diferent from other photos taken by most astrophotographers. I love your astrophotography work. Thank you for giving us this visual beauty. I have your photo as wallpaper in muy Macintosh.

A greeting from Spain

RBA (Contact, Page), November 24th, 2009, 16:16
Thanks Tamara and Chris!!!

Mario, muchas gracias ;-)

leonardo herrera (Contact, Page), December 5th, 2009, 16:49
Muy impresionante la calidad de la imagen. Recién compré un telescopio TASCO 114x900mm, estoy en 66°55'W 10°30'N(Caracas-Venezuela). Pregunto: ¿podré visualizar la forma de esta nebulosa cuando pase cerca del zenit? Soy principiante inexperto, pero sé centrar bien un Objetivo

ZOILA MIRANDA (Contact, Page), December 18th, 2009, 10:30
Esta foto es muy original, no recuerdo haber visto una semejante en la FADD.
Aunque medio entiendo algunas cosas escritas en Inglés, adivino la descripción que haces de la foto.
Me gusta mucho por lo original.
Nuevamente te felicito, realmente me deleito viendo tu sitio DEEP Sky Colors.

RBA (Contact, Page), December 18th, 2009, 10:54
Gracias Leonardo y Zoila!
Zoila cualquier pregunta que tengas sobre las fotos, no dejes de preguntar, bien aqui o en mi correo que ya conoces.

陳彩月 (Contact, Page), December 22nd, 2009, 6:14

Wouter Verhesen (Contact, Page), December 29th, 2009, 4:36
I say we change APOD to DSCpod..."deepskycolors picture of the day" because pretty soon you will be featured every day!
Your work is an inspiration... would love to see some processing tutorials by you.

Kind regards from The Netherlands,

Wouter Verhesen

jorge Garcia (Contact, Page), December 29th, 2009, 4:38
Enhorabuena Rogelio,

Me encanta la imagen de la witchhead y es un merecidisimo APOD

Un abrazo y feliz navidad

Mario Gaitano Jativa (Contact, Page), December 29th, 2009, 15:47
Rogelio, ahora si que han publicado tu foto de la bruja en APOD, te lo mereces y de nuevo...¡¡¡felicidades por tu trabajo!!!
Feliz Navidad y Prospero Año cargado de bellas fotos ;-) Un abrazo.

Mark Strollo (Contact, Page), December 30th, 2009, 5:19
Great work Rogelio. Congrats on your APOD. I really liked the framing with Rigel and the background stars.

zoila miranda (Contact, Page), December 30th, 2009, 8:51
Hola Rogelio, qué alegría me da esta nueva APOD, tuya!!!!.
Fíjate me encanta que la publiquen pues ya viste que desde que la ví me encantó y hasta hice la crítica que nunca había visto una foto ni parecida!!!.
Bueno me encanta verificar que tengo buen ojo para catalagar fotos APOD.
Nuevamente mil felicitaciones ahora y que el próximo año 2010, tambien sea un año en el que cada mes veamos una APOD tuya.

mohammad (Contact, Page), February 28th, 2010, 21:27
I am Mohammad from Iran
More me your photos and put God and see your photos as big as God, I remember.
You write a poem of Iranian poet Sohrab Sepehri:
Where am I the sky is mine, the window, love, earth is mine.
Thanks. I'm waiting for your new عکسای.

Contribute a better translation
Thank you for contributing your translation suggestion to Google Translate.
Contribute a better translation:
I am Mohammad from IranSeeing your pictures I get logged amazed. I was all the sky and it was such imaging astronomical software added.More me your photos and put God and see your photos as big as God, I remember.You write a poem of Iranian poet Sohrab Sepehri:Where am I the sky is mine, the window, love, earth is mine.Thanks. I'm waiting for your new عکسای.

Languages available for translation:

Czech Danish
German Greek
Haitian Creole
Italian Japanese
Persian Polish
Swahili Swedish

Uli v. Kusserow (Contact, Page), November 2nd, 2010, 2:28
Dear Rogelio Bernal Andreo,
would like to use your beautiful APOD picture "Orion: Head to Toe" for my talks about "Turbulent Childhood - Influence of Cosmic Magnetic Fields on Star Formation" with students and in planeteriums. Could you give me the permission for that? Would be great. Kind greetings

Manolis (Contact, Page), November 10th, 2012, 0:09
Witch Head Nebula and Rigel is great ,as is the Pale Blue Dot by Voyager . I wish i knew what we could see if we could build a telescope with resolution of 1 picoarcsecond....!!!
How long would the sides of such a triangle be, and how long would be it`s base (in kilometers)...?
Unfortunately nothing in the web about it...

Patrick (Contact, Page), April 4th, 2014, 17:58
An amazing image ( as are all the others!) . I wondered what your technique is to bring out the dust in your images? Thanks, Patrick (Western Australia)

RBA (Contact, Page), April 4th, 2014, 18:15
Hi Patrick, thanks! Check some of my tutorials here: http://www.deepskycolors.com/tutorials.html