• RBA Premium Astrophotography

• The Big Dipper

Posted: June 14th, 2011

Here is a 24 panes mosaic image covering the vast area "taken" by the well known Big Dipper in Ursa Major. possibly the most famous asterism in the Northern sky.

It was taken during 7 nights at DARC between May 25 and June 1st. It was the"first light" of my FSQ after cleaning the front lens. Processed with PixInsight, Registar (more as an auxiliary tool, not really on the data) and Photoshop.

I know it's not the typical "in your face" image, but there's something I like about these rarely seen (in photographs) "high res" vast fields, where not one single object captures your undivided attention. Also, as Wolfgang Promper said: It's the fact that it is a deep image and still you can relate to what you see when looking to the sky unaided.

As for the dusty background, as usual, I give a high percentage in its accuracy, but not necessarily for each and every single detail.

Surf around and find the "hidden" owl ;-)

Here's a small version with the asterism, star labels and also labels for all the Messier objects in the image:

I personally had a lot of fun doing things like finding Hickson 50 (it is there, just not an easy catch, and when you find it, it's just a blur!) and other objects (lots of cool NGCs and a few popular Messiers of course)...

I hope you enjoy it!

Scott Tully (Contact, Page), June 24th, 2011, 6:02
    I saw your Big Dipper mosaic on APOD today, love it. A great image - as always you are such an inspiration keep up the good work!
    Scott T

Keith Adams (Contact, Page), June 24th, 2011, 17:49
    Just beautiful, I take big panos of earthly objects, huge fan of APOD, I will be back browsing thru the archives, thank you for sharing your wonderful image with us, Keith

zoila (Contact, Page), June 24th, 2011, 19:19
    Rogelio, tus éxitos siempre me entusiasman, felicidades.

Jared Bowens (Contact, Page), June 25th, 2011, 22:57
    This is the best Pic ever of the big dipper in the world its even better than the eye do the same with Cyngus theres a lot of stuff

Mariano García (Contact, Page), June 28th, 2011, 9:15
    Fantástico, todo un deleite para la vista!! Ojalá alguna vez tengas la oportunidad de desplazarte hacia el sur y tomar una imagen de la pequeña nube de Magallanes, te quedaría genial!

Greg Parker (Contact, Page), July 2nd, 2011, 10:07
    A truly superb piece of advanced deep-sky imaging :)

Harshavardhan (Contact, Page), July 3rd, 2011, 13:04
    Hello Rogelio,
    I have seen the image (The Big Dipper) you have posted on Astronomy Picture of the Day on 24th June 2011. I was wondering about the grid 6274,2254, it looks like Earth to me. Is that local owl nebula or something else?..

Harshavardhan Gorakh

P.S. = this group of seven star ( if seen by naked eyes) have always fascinated me.. :) .

Titus Rogers (Contact, Page), December 17th, 2011, 5:20
    Are there any human habitable areas in the
    Big Dipper Cluster . The Big Dipper seem to have a season tilt movement just like The Earth's tilt which gives us the four season of the year.

Avinash Paithankar (Contact, Page), October 9th, 2012, 1:58
    Dear Rogelio, This is indeed an impactful picture of the Big Dipper. Truly said by you anot the picture...it keeps the WHOLE of constellation before your eyes & you can't just isolate any of its units. Great...keep it up!.

daryoosh (Contact, Page), July 27th, 2014, 9:34

John Carroll (Contact, Page), May 2nd, 2015, 3:06
    My first viewing - magical!!