• RBA Premium Astrophotography

• Simeis 147 and surroundings

Posted: December 8th, 2011

Simeis 147, a supernova remnant also known as Sharpless 2-240, is an object typically photographed with narrowband filters, because under visible light it just appears too "poor" in comparison, mainly due to the fact that this object is extremely faint when imaged through RGB filters - and not too bright when using narrowband filters either! Narrowband data however deprives us from viewing the many other things happening around it.

Most narrowband+broadband compositions I've seen (usually H-Alpha + RGB or H-Alpha + LRGB) haven't been able to "fix" that, so I decided to give it a try, also expanding the typical already-wide FOV, to hopefully capture and visually document more of what's around.

The image being presented above includes the entire field I photographed, in a 3x1 mosaic, but down here you can see a composition that focuses on the supernova remnant itself:

Successfully combining narrowband data (H-Alpha in this case) and (L)RGB data can be tricky. One of the usual results is that, since H-Alpha data tends to produce very small stars, when combined with broadband data, the resulting image often presents a rather severe ringing around the stars. Also, some conventional techniques rely on mixing H-Alpha with the red (R) and blue (B) data, but in this case, my RGB data was rather poor so I couldn't rely on just this technique. Therefore, for this particular image I followed a number of conventional as well as non-conventional methods that proved to be rather successful in producing an image that visually documents this area of the sky. Also, as usual in many of my recent images, a multi-scale approach dominated post-processing, in particular to bring out the fainter details that hide behind the swarm of stars.

My daughter says this supernova remnant looks like a Christmas tree ornament, although I kind of see a piggy's head instead! :-)

Greg Parker (Contact, Page), December 13th, 2011, 13:33
    Simply the best Simeis 147 I have ever seen :)

RBA (Contact, Page), December 15th, 2011, 1:41
    Hi Greg, glad you like it! I'm very happy the way it turned out.

riccardo de benedictis (Contact, Page), January 5th, 2012, 9:34
    Truly amazing, congratulations.....
    Hello and happy new year

RBA (Contact, Page), January 5th, 2012, 10:14
    Happy New Year Ric, and thanks for stopping by!

Werner Mehl (Contact, Page), January 10th, 2012, 9:16
    I spend about 18 hours under the German sky for this object. But this picture is incredible. It is for me like a painting.
    Do you give lessons? :-)
    Thank`s, Werner

Klacsány Imre (Contact, Page), January 15th, 2012, 2:31
    Perfect job!! Gratulation!!

Paul Duncan (Contact, Page), February 1st, 2012, 19:09
    Incredible Rogelio!
    How you turn the Ha into deep reds and beautiful stars is just remarkable. Shaking my head...

Tom (Contact, Page), September 20th, 2012, 6:23
    Congratulations on the ROG placing. Super widefield Seimis.

Wolfgang M. Wettlaufer (Contact, Page), October 9th, 2012, 4:49
    Having been around for decades now admiring those photographic efforts to present the starry sky, it ever more has me admiring what can be achieved with astrophotographers' means in these days! With the brilliance and sharpness achieved, this object's presentation also tells a lot about the dynamic life of the heavenly wonders out there. Very exciting, Rogelio! Again and again, I must stare at your wonderful rendering of the magnificent nebula. (Can the pulsar be located?) As soon as the rain has stopped to wash out the dust of my (south German) sky I will go outside to have a new look at this part of sky that I photographed myself a few days ago. Amazingly, this SNR lies not far from the famous CRAB, with half its distance; this must have been quite an optical show to our ancestors when that 'guest star' blew up .. your photo certainly will help improve the attention of stargazers (as well as the general public, hopefully) for Simeis 147 as well, each time the CRAB comes into focus!

johnny weisenhunt (Contact, Page), October 9th, 2012, 7:20
    when you enlarge the photo it shows 3 very long? meteor streaks, also in the left-upper field there is a very strange blob of unrecognizable matter??? great picture though keep um coming.

Lloyd (Contact, Page), September 27th, 2013, 20:17
    I too have an FSQ and am considering an 11000 class chip. Doesn't the image scale with focal reducer result in great undersampling? The pictures say "no", but the calculations say "yes". Thanks for any insight you can provide. Excellent stuff!

RBA (Contact, Page), September 28th, 2013, 5:03
    Lloyd, the resolution of the FSQ with the reducer and a 11000 sensor is around 4.8 pixels per arcsecond. Do keep in mind this object is pretty large, over 3 degrees.

Tragoolchitr Jittasaiyapan (Contact, Page), November 10th, 2013, 9:48
    Wow!!! never seen any Sh2-240 that more amazing than this one.
    Unbelievable. Thanks for sharing.

budy (Contact, Page), September 5th, 2014, 1:17