Removing gradients while preserving very faint background details: Comments

Carl Creamer (Contact, Page), May 29th, 2010, 21:04

Great tutorials Rogelio, I'm trying to find my way around PI and your tutorials are very helpful.
I'm still trying to determine if it is best to stick with CCDStack and PhotoShop or make the transition to PI, as it appears to me from my superficial knowledge that there is somethings that PI can't do as easily as in PhotoShop.

RBA (Contact, Page), May 30th, 2010, 0:03

Thanks Carl!

IMHO it's not that there are things PI cannot do as easily as in PS, but that the things you do in PS to achieve X goal are done differently (maybe better?) in PI. The only tool I miss in PI that PS has is layers. You can achieve the same results using PixelMath but it's not nearly as productive IMHO. However, the PI team said that layers are coming to PI (and the lasso tool, and a paintbrush and other things) so it's only a matter of time. However, do think about what I said in the beginning, because with a few exceptions that's usually the case: people look in PI for X tool to do what they know how to do in PS, to later realize that in order to achieve that goal, you simply need to do it differently. That's my feeling at least.

Franz Gruber (Contact, Page), August 8th, 2010, 10:45

Many thanks for your teaching and PixInsight Ref.Guide. It is really a very very great help. Please more tutorials like this.

Drew Sullivan (Contact, Page), October 25th, 2010, 12:58

Excellent tutorial. I think the best point is stressing that you have to check your image against other data to make sure you are showing real structures, not image capture or processing artifacts.

Ozgur Unat (Contact, Page), October 3rd, 2012, 15:10

Thanks for that great tutorial. I am just beginning to try PI and this article here has already helped me to reveal much more more detail in my older images taken under heavy light pollution.

Robert Hertel (Contact, Page), April 4th, 2013, 8:16

Impressive and informative to see what advanced use of the Pixinsight looks like. Is there a reference somewhere as to how to do a simple IRAS lookup at a given FOV? I tried the website itself and found it too confusing.

Gary Palmer (Contact, Page), October 8th, 2013, 13:56

I'm preparing myself to try PixInsight. This appears to be a very nice tutorial, but I am unable to see any of the images or to run the animation, even after enabling Quicktime. After about 5 min I finally have a download, but no animation. I think you must have a broader bandwidth. Perhaps a warning would be in order.
iMac OS 10.6.8
Location: northern California, USA

Mats Andersson (Contact, Page), March 9th, 2014, 21:52

thank you for this excellent write-up. I am struggling to learn this fantastic piece of software (PI) and blogs like yours is a great help.
Do you happen to know what the deal with the symmetry checkboxes are in DBE? When do you use them and how. Can not find any info on that anywhere.

Best regards