Virgo Cluster Deep Widefield: Comments

Keerthi Kiran (Contact, Page), April 21st, 2011, 21:47

A truly remarkable project. Also it is very generous of you to share all the details about the image. It is definitely one of the best Astrophotos I have ever seen. I loved all the subtle details in the bigger version of the image.
APOD would be honored to post this photo on their site.

S. K. LAHIRI (Contact, Page), April 22nd, 2011, 0:52

Incredibly beautiful astrophoto crafted by lights that left the Virgo cluster some 48 million light-years back and finally captured & home-delivered to our desktops!! Thanks for the great job.

Ginge (Contact, Page), April 22nd, 2011, 1:28

Another great shot! Thanks for explaining your procedure in such detail aswell. I'm very curious about your extensive use of masks of different sizes and how you arrive at settings for generation of these. It is what you've described in the tutorial on your blog, right? I'll definately give your technique a try next time.

Best regards,
Ginge

Dan Schroeder (Contact, Page), April 22nd, 2011, 7:15

Bravo! Processing aside, the composition is perfect and the level of detail is most impressive.

Robert Gillette (Contact, Page), April 22nd, 2011, 7:24

A superb image of the Virgo cluster's heart. Would very much like to know exposure data and scope/lens used with, I presume, the ST11000.

Derek Kuhl (Contact, Page), April 22nd, 2011, 8:23

Another well deserved APOD! You clearly have established yourself as the Dean of widefield astrophotography. Your projects are so demanding and require so much expertise I am continually astonished. Your work has inspired me to emulate your efforts because I feel your images more beautifully expose the glories of the heavens than the traditional narrow field views. I further appreciate your sharing of your processing nuances with us. Not only does it help those that are learning, it also reveals the skill and complexity of the work presented. I hope that our admiration of your work will, in a small way, encourage you to continue your efforts not only in capturing more images but also advancing the technology of wide field image capture.

Noel Carboni (Contact, Page), April 22nd, 2011, 9:46

Many astroimages are limited by our atmosphere. This one seems limited only by the interstellar dust. I'm awestruck. Great job Rogelio!

-Noel

RBA (Contact, Page), April 22nd, 2011, 19:40

Thanks everyone for the overwhelming comments!

Ginge, it would take a while to explain all the masking techniques in this comment. They're all based either on the luminance/lightness of the image, or through wavelet transformations.

Robert, for the details, click on the "Show image details" link, right above all these comments.

Noel, it's an honor to see you stopping by, even more so after reading your words!

Again, thanks everyone!

John E. Pool (Contact, Page), April 23rd, 2011, 3:35

Using your full ~27MB Virgo Cluster image, I gamma enhanced until dark areas were significant. I downloaded a 60x60 arcmin DSS2 IR image and enhanced it. Faint dark patches above NGC4371 corespond with your image. I think you've captured local galactic cold dust clouds. Excellent work; extremely good resolution.

Andreas Elleringmann (Contact, Page), April 23rd, 2011, 11:13

GREAT picture and explanations. I've to confess I've never seen these details. Staying in Paris /France for holidays, enjoying a glas of red wine and seeing this picture is really an event. THX!

Flavius Gligor (Contact, Page), May 2nd, 2011, 12:57

Awesome picture! Shows that one can get Hubble-like results with a small scope. :) You just need to get creative.

Juan (Contact, Page), October 20th, 2011, 5:59

Incredible

Juan de Dios (Contact, Page), December 30th, 2011, 3:09

Hola Rogelio! despues de buscar por toda la red una imagen del cúmulo de Virgo para realizar un pequeño artículo en mi blog didáctico de astronomía, la mejor es la tuya con diferencia , me gustaría poder utilizarla; ¿puedo?

Chris (Contact, Page), February 18th, 2012, 18:26

Amazing work Rogelio! I like your approach to processing this very interesting part of the sky, and I would agree that you did meet your objectives. Having a home observatory, I would aspire to travel less kilometres than you did! Well done.

Based on your demonstrations and discussions in Brisbane (Oz) last year, I have just purchased and installed Pix Insight and am looking forward to using it.

Chris